Thursday, June 10, 2010

Blog #1

Before i knew very little on specifically what rhetoric is. all i could refer to is from the term "Rhetorical Question," where you ask a question and do not expect an answer. What I learned about is that it Rhetoric allows a writer or speaker to expect what answer they can receive. This way they can sort of guide the audience to where they want them to go very effectively.
And when it came to genres, I am pretty sure i have a good understanding of it. There are various movie genres like horror, comedy, romance, and many others. With music there is punk, rock, metal, techno, and a lot more including many more. Basically a genre allows a piece to be grouped to other pieces that are similar, so you wont end up finding the Saw series in with Sesame Street. What I learned about genres is that what defines what genre it belongs to is for detailed than i expected, let it be the language used, the design of it, tone of it, and just so many other factors.
In my writing I will try my best to use rhetoric wisely so that my writing will have more of an effect on the reader and the flow of the piece will be a lot smoother. When it comes to genre I will make sure what I'm writing falls under exactly what I want it to so that there is no doubt that it is the genre i want it to be.
These concepts where fairly easy to grasp, the extent of how deep a genre would go was probably the hardest thing to grasp, because I thought what I thought about genres was just how it was, and with rhetoric I really had no previous knowledge so it was all new to me and didnt interfere with any ideas i had already about it.
These sections where pretty interesting, because all though i learned something new and i've always been interested in how i could write something differently or better, and this helped a bit. the read wasn't so easy, because it was just facts. In the beginning it was not so bad but then it was fact after fact and that doesn't excite me at all. Like i've mentioned before the reading was informative, I learned more about genres, more than i thought would be neccasary about genres in fact. and i have a good idea about what rhetoric means.

1 comment:

  1. In grad school, I had to take a whole course on rhetoric. It was rhetorically dry and boring. I'm glad you got something out of these readings.

    ReplyDelete